Sunday, March 23, 2014

Walking on Water

We know Jesus did it and Peter, until his faith floundered, and I had to explain to some girls at Archbishop Porter how we can walk on water and go ice fishing (fortunately, I had pictures to prove it).  In Ghana there is a village called Nzuleza (don't ask me go pronounce it) that lives on the water.  Not on an island but on stilts. 


Pictures are allowed on or near the village so I'll describe the adventure for us.  The people , centuries ago followed the snail to its final resting place and settled here.


Check the link above for the full story.

Here's a better look with some " borrowed" pictures. Which, of course, I would cite if I weren't doing my blog on my phone.

The roads to the land connection makeveven the worst potholes  in Michigan seem like newly paved roads.  In fact, ourbhost Christian now needs to geet a new miffler.  He reallyntried to avoid the worst but sometimes there was no road left on which to drive.  Theybare "in process" to make a new highwat to the Ivory Coadt, but with an infrastructure like Ghana's(or lack of one) who knows how long it will take.  Drivinh home on tnis "highway" was no picnic.
On to the village.  It took a bus ride through fields, a short walk through a swampnd a 30 minute canoevride over a peaceful lake to reach the village of 450 inhabitants.  Its like stepping back in time except for electricty  and internet.  Few people ever leave the village or they return after secondary school to a life of fishing and tourism.  The children swim like fish and know how to work the tourists.  The village is bigger than first impresdion and we held "counsel" with the assistant chief.  
It's hard to describe, but the people seem content.  I can't imagine visitofs to my home every day who really are there only to gawk.  Of course, I'd never be patient enough for that nor woud Sassy.  By the way, I do miss Sassy, and saw a dog who lookec like her yesterday wandering among the goats.
Now on to the rainforest.



3 comments:

  1. There is one advantage to living on the water: no grass to mow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How has the "island" not collapsed yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be glad that the stilts aren't made of metal

    ReplyDelete