Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Freezing Snow or Sweltering Heat

        As I sit here looking out my classroom window and watch the beautiful snow (yes, it is indeed March in Michigan and yesterday it was -10 degrees in the morning), I can't help but wonder what the sweltering heat of Ghana will feel like in less than two short weeks. Until today I was also wondering if I would be sleeping outdoors in that heat and humidity as the hotel we were trying to make arrangements with failed to respond to my, I'm sure very patient and pleasant, emails.  Fortunately, and thanks be to God!, our host teacher Christian suggested another hotel sammarlodge.com (click the link) and is helping to make the arrangements.  While only a two star hotel in Ghana, I can't be more thankful for a roof over my head, sometimes reliable internet, breakfast, and a place to sleep. 
       This arrangement is especially important as I have talked to a few people about the prevalence of malaria this time of year, some in spite of taking the malaria pills.  I am going armed with DEET 40%, long sleeve shirts, a hat, my anti-malaria pills, and most of all the Lord's protection. I ask that you help cover me in prayer for this very issue--protection from malaria, safe travels and good health.  Prayers are also requested for our fellow TGC teachers who leave this Saturday for their time in Morocco and those teachers expecting to travel to Russia March 29 (praying for stability in that region).
       If you want to learn more about Ghana, its history, people, and attractions, CNN has been kind enough to run a special series this month "On the Road, Ghana".  Check it out and you'll see the rainforest canopy walk and slave castle I will be visiting as well as the hustle and bustle of Accra. (On the Road Ghana)  (click the link)

Kakum Canopy Walk



1 comment:

  1. The temperature difference between MI and Ghana will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete