Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Odyssey is about to Begin

In less than 48 hours I will begin my 24 hour journey to Ghana.  Today was special at school as I was sent off with prayer and blessings (from Philippians) during Chapel.  I am so excited to be taking Valley with me in so many ways.  Check out the attached video to see my kids sharing the school Fight Song with the girls at Archbishop Porter.  My bags are packed (well, almost) and I'm ready to go.  It is only with the slightest hesitation as I can't really envision leaving my "kids" for two weeks, however capable the substitute is.  I've been interviewed for the paper (Saginaw News) and was asked what I am looking forward to the most.  It was, interestingly, the same question Dr. Meyers asked me in chapel today.  I could easily say what I wasn't looking forward to--you all know by now-- THE HEAT.  However, I think there is so much to anticipate:  An entirely different culture, other teachers who care about their students and have a passion for education, the interesting food, mosquito nets, and the Canopy walk in Kakum National Park.  What I am most looking forward to experiencing and bringing back to my kids and my school is the understanding that, although Ghana is a developing country and quite different from the US in many ways, we are more similar than we are different.  I hope to be able to debunk certain stereotypes I and others may hold about African people, and to bring back more of the story.  I really want to fight the "Danger of a Single Story" as Adichie so eloquently expresssed in her TED Talk.  Well, I could write forever (you know I'm never at a loss for words), but I need to get back to work. 
I hope to blog as often as electricity and internet access allow in the days to come.  Please keep me and our whole Ghana team in your prayers.  Until we meet again, "Maaha"  Good afternoon (in Ghana)

4 comments:

  1. Bev - I am incredibly excited for you and the Ghana group. Sounds like you have a supportive group of students, a supportive school and community, sending you off with lots of love.

    I appreciate your acknowledgement that you want to defy the trap of the Single Story. It's an important context. And your story, based on your experiences in Ghana, is important, too. Safe travels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello - I'm here with my amazing, fabulous 6th graders in Albuquerque, NM, and we have some thoughts for you:

    Wyatt: Best Fight Song ever!

    Darry: That drum roll!

    Jack: Cool fight song!

    Ian: Awesome and catchy.

    Analiya - good luck and I like your song.

    Have a safe journey to Africa and we'll be following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - I'm here with my super 7th graders and we have some thoughts for you:

    Donovan: going from cold to warm -- you're blood's going to thin out! Stay cool!

    Elise: Did you learn the fight song?

    Berkeley: Hope you enjoy Ghana!

    Izrah: Your mascot is the chargers?

    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying as you go out to share Christ with the people in Africa and looking for the blessings you will inherit in return. We are so thankful for the blessing of YOU! Looking forward to hearing about your opportunities to bless and be blessed.

    ReplyDelete