Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Food Ghanaian Style

No red velvet or even chocolate yet in a country where cocao is king.  I've been disappointed with the food so far:  the hotel hasn't served local fare but seems to cater to a generally boring theme.  However, yesterday's lunch at Buka was all Ghanaian and more.  Pictured below are various menu items enjoyed (or not) by various members of our group.  All spoke highly of their food except the goat meat soup.  I can't say as I blame her.  It looked nasty and was really goat parts in a very peppery broth--that's it.  I had a traditional bean/beef stew with fried plantains which I enjoyed.  Fish, heads and all, seemed a very popular dish and everything came with some kind of startch--plantains or cassava which actually tasted much like French fries.  We eat often, lacking much fresh fruit and veggies and especially dessert.  Ordered a milk shake at the hotel the first night and it was basically chocolate milk on ice.  Well, that at least, will be good for my diet.
My lunch yesterday
Fish, chicken and rice.
Food at the hotel is cosmopolitan, trying to reach a variety of cultures.  For example we we offered spaghetti for breakfast.  
Before I forget-this is for students only.  I saw Red Velvet Cupcakes yesterday at a "french cafe".
dreaded hot pepper goat soup


my bean beef stew with fried plantains

fish head soup
  grilled tilapia (yes, the whole fish)


Time to run.  Wanted to get this posted.  Enjoy your boring lunch at home.  (Please pray for those three in our group who are sick.)
Tonight I am meeting Dr. Brandt's brother in Ghana for supper!!!!.  Stay tuned for more information.

4 comments: