Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ghanian education re-formed

I'm waiting for a clever title for this blog to hit me on tbe head, so I haven't started to discuss  yesterday's experiences actually teaching the girls of Arcgbishop Porter.  Before I begin, I want Non-western Civ to look closely at the pictures below and see if you recognize anything familiar (The rest of you can simply enjoy).


Archbishop Porter girls enjoy a chance to collaborate on an in-class activity.


Non-Western Civ, did you figure it out so I can continue?

My first lesson with the girls was on World Religions.  Because of the nature of Ghanaian education focusing on preparation for the Form 3 (senior year) examinations required for any further education, much of teaching is lecture and recitation.  Also, large class sizes (up to 60 in a class), and cramped space prohibit much interactive or group learning, but I decided to give it a try.  The card sort activity (familiar to my students) allowed the girls to work in groups and talk together while using deductive learning.  In reality they had learned some of this material earlier. They commented that they would enjoy such opportunities but realize the difficulty in the current system.  After the card sort we discussed and compared each of the five major word religions.  There was a Muslim girl in the class who shared some aspects of Islam, as well.  I had a great opportunity to share a common faith with the girls as part of this activity.  What a difference between Ghanaian and American public schools.
So much more learning can go on with such collaboration.  The teachers recognize this as we discussed limitations and challenges with social studies teachers in a mini workshop. It's not that they don't see the value in or have the desire for taking their students into deeper thinking activities, the structure and nature of the national system do not afford the opportunity.
In further lessons, activities, and interactions with the girls I noticed there are a number of similarities with my American girls:  they like cute boys and want r Facebook or email, certain students want to dominate the conversation, they respond well to authority when treated with respect and now know the meaning of QUIESCITE!!!

7 comments:

  1. I'm loving the photos of the classrooms in Ghana. Thanks for sharing yours. Sounds like this experience with the girls was truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikayla Wilke
    I enjoyed reading this. It's cool to know that the girls there are similar to us. It's crazy that the classes are that big. I like seeing pictures of the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lanie Frazier
    I can't imagine 60 kids in a classroom. It's cool that the Muslim girl was excited to talk about her faith. I wish we had some religious difference to debate at Valley that isn't theoretical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see the girls are getting diverse learning. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DOMINICK DEMPSEY
    Its great to see they have mastered "quiescite" as we know many at valley are still working on that!!!! I'm impressed that such a large class (in comparison to valley) can be managed so well! Hope you continue to learn and have fun in Ghana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like Pastor Mueller would have been perfect for your first lesson. You could have used some of his knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire Miller

    As I was reading this update, the idea of such a large class really struck me. It's unfortunate that class size hinders their ability to work in much more creative ways, collaboratively as well as independently. It's great to see that they have the desire to though! I realized how fortunate we are as students of Valley, where we receive a one-on-one learning experience with teachers and other students.

    ReplyDelete