Wednesday, March 19, 2014

To Market, To Market to Buy a...

What comes to mind when you think of going to market?  Well, I know we don't even really go to market, but in Ghana so many images come to mind.  There  is the woman outside the hotel with her little souvenir shop (probably with many items made in China), or Ophelia's friend who brought her "market" to the hotel for the women to order clothing and peruse her jewelry.  Or, think how convenient it would be for you to have the market come to you when you are driving down the highway or stuck in a traffic jam.  The walking street vendors are all over selling such things as water bags, plantain chips, towels, mini blankets (in 90 degree heat) and even spray starch, all from little baskets on top of their heads.  I can't even begin to imagine how little these (mostly women) people make for such hard, back breaking work.
 
Then there are those who sell in their "shops" along the street, some of which also serve as their homes.  But we also saw a very modern mall.  (Unfortunately, technology has been somewhat of a challenge so I have had to use three different cameras, and I don't have the mall picture to share).
The most interesting market experience, bar none, was the trip to the Accra Arts Center.  Any one you who’ve ever been to Nassau in the Bahamas have seen a similar market.  However, I don’t remember the people being nearly as aggressive in their selling techniques.  An area of a few city blocks was filled with booths under cover.  Each booth was no more than 6x8 and packed densely together.  Anything you wanted (or didn’t want) that represented Ghana was there a hundred times over.  Of course, each item was hand made by the owner of the booth and some even gave all their profits to help the street children. While this may be true for a very few, I don’t see how each booth owner would have time to make the items he/she created or how they could make them so similar to items in other booths.  It was an experience not to be missed.  I’m looking forward to a similar market in Takoradi since I haven’t found everything I “needed” to buy yet.  I’m glad the bus driver went with me to help me find the booths I was looking for.  Fortunately, everyone understands English and “No” isn’t that hard for me to say.  (I know you are all laughing now J).  Some of our group were pushed and almost dragged into the “booths” but we all felt safe and got some good bargains.  I “mastered” my bargaining skills, bartering from 450 cedi to 250 for one particular item.  It also helps to walk away.  One man followed me all the way out of the market area when I refused to pay more than 10 cedis for a gift for the baby (I know it’s not here yet).  Of course, I then got it for 10.  Again, it amazes me how hard these people have to work to make a living and I almost feel bad trying to barter with them when it means so little in American dollars.  $1.00 = 2.5 cedis, so my 10 cedi gift for the baby was about $4.00.  (Sorry, Josh and Tiff, I’m on a tight budget J ).  Some are now shopping at the “mall”, I can do that at home.  Of course, I never do, but I could……

Tomorrow on to Takoradi and our school placement, about a 3 or 4 hour drive “depending on traffic and potholes”.


6 comments:

  1. LOVE reading your updates and hearing about your experiences and your perspective. I would love to be there with you! =) Prayers continuing...and we miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have put so much work in to this project. I am blessed to be your sister. God bless your experiences. Can't wait to get the real story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you kind of experienced the unpleasent side of Ghana. Everyone at Valley continues to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From 450 to 250, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to hear about the market in Ghana, it sounds like something very unique and unlike anything in America. Instantly I linked it to what we learned in Spanish about the bargaining in Spanish markets. It's amazing how cultures seem to connect. Seems like a neat experience, and probably a little intimidating at first!
    Amber Streeter Global Issues

    ReplyDelete