Sunday, March 23, 2014

Kakum, Here we come!

I did it!!!  I survived the canopy walk in the Kakum National Forest.  There were six or seven different aerial bridges on the long walk "miles" above (ok feet) the rainforest floor.  The view was breathtaking and the walk quite rickety but very safe.  It's a good thing I'm not acrophobic (look it up, it'sGreek).
The  beginning of my journey

A rainforest panaroma

Above the canopy

For me this was the most interesting and challenging trip yet in Ghana.  High above, in the treetops of Kukum, are a series of rope bridges allowing one to traverse the canopy.  A bit disappointing, since the crowds and heat make seeing any animals difficult, majestic nevertheless.  It was hard work climbing it up the slope to the ropes, making the rope bridges themselves the easiest part of the trip. Being one with the trees allowed me to further appreciate the majesty of creation and the bridges the marvels of modern engineering.
Tomorrow off to the classroom.




6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I could have done it; I have a bit of acrophobia. Can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! No photos looking down? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel P
    Acrophobic: the fear of heights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great view, not sure I'd do the same thing myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just don't look down and you'll do just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those bridges would be so cool to walk on! It's too bad you couldn't see many animals.
    -Lucas W.

    ReplyDelete