Monday, March 17, 2014

Activity in Accra

It"s been such a busy day, I don't know where to begin.  However, I had to include this picture, taken around the corner from our hotel today, because it is just the picture I have been looking for since reading Kwei Quartey's detective novels set in Ghana.  One of the things he mentioned is the Christian influence seen in so many places and using the name of God or Jesus in simple businesses.  We passed a "God is Love Bakery" truck and saw a "Jesus Saves nail salon", so I thought this picture very appropriate.
Our day began with an informational lecture on the history of Ghana but information was also shared on many social and cultural customs.  Sorry, Sarah, Carole, Josh, and Dad but it is considered almost evil to be left-handed in Ghana.  Don't worry, I wasn't left out of the discussion either because twins are so rare they are frequently abandoned at birth (or were at least historically) and even surrounded by ground maize to encourage wild animals to approach.
We traveled to the US Embassy where we were strictly forbidden from taking any pictures (but that was OK because there weren't any exciting sites).  The best part was getting to meet Ghanaian teachers and learn that they have many of the same concerns as US teachers:  how to deal with parents, get students to work to their potential, and deal with much more technological frustrations than we can ever imagine.  When asked why they continue to teach, one teacher responded, :"My reward is in heaven."  I told her I wholeheartedly agreed, but I have so many rewards each and every day when I walk into my classroom.  I miss you all.  BEHAVE!!! for Miss Engelhard.
We also got to meet our host teacher.  Christian is sooo excited that we are coming and so are the girls and everyone at his school.  That will be in only a few short days.
Tonight was a cultural experience as a traditional dance troupe performed for us.  They have traveled the world including Concordia University.  (Missy, it's that small Lutheran world at it again).  I tried to upload some video but had connection issues.  Will try on another post.  Fortunately, I have no video of my dancing with the troupe (which I did since we had no option.  It wasn't a pretty sight). 
It's been such a great experience and it's only just begun.  I hope you stayed tuned for so much more.  God has certainly blessed me with the wonderful opportunity.

4 comments:

  1. You are seeing first hand, Bev, what we saw in Rwanda. There is no hiding of the Christian viewpoint in public. We are much more limited here in the U.S. I think. Blessings as you continue on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's true that Christanity is moving and that America is the next mission field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess I shouldn't go to Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with you Aaron. Christianity is indeed moving and sadly it is also deciining rapidly.

    ReplyDelete