Tuesday, November 11, 2014

LONG AGO, NOT FORGOTTEN!!!

I realize it has been ages since I posted.  Olivia is now seven months old and cute as a button, and new teachers are prepare for their TGC program.  However, that does not mean that Ghana is far from my heart.  I still treasure reading others' posts on Facebook, and communicating with my host teacher, Christian, on What's App on a regular basis.  Ghana will always be in my heart.

I am thankful that the dreaded Ebola outbreak did not hit Ghana as it did other countries in West Africa.  I had a Peace Corps volunteer from Guinea who was forced to leave because of Ebola speak in my classroom, and it was evident that her heart was still with the people of Guinea.  I know how she feels.

I've been able to use some of my experiences in some professional development sessions I've been a part of or will be in the near future.  I just presented at the Michigan Council for the Social Studies annual conference last weekend for Michigan Geographic Alliance on the topic of Latitude and the Slave Trade in West Africa.  Over thirty people attended my session and I was excited to share pictures and accounts from Cape Coast Castle.  I'm preparing to present a workshop for local Lutheran educators at our school in January on Global Education resources for use in classrooms of various disciplines, and am considering a proposal for the NCGE in Washington next summer.

Often, I find references to my Ghana experience popping up in my classroom as we look at headlines of current events and our upcoming unit on globalization.  Telling my students about my girls at Archbishop Porter across the ocean brings our two worlds together.

I wish I had more time and resources to develop some long term connections with Ghana, but for now the relationships with continue to be fortified by prayer.  May God continue to bless my friends (now family) in Takoradi, Ghana and all with whom I traveled.  I love you all.

Some of my favorite pictures.  The People, the places, the food, the memories.  Couldn't help but include Olivia's seven month picture as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment